[Tfug] The 3.5.7 kernel

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 00:50:22 MST 2013

Hi Erich,

On 3/22/2013 8:34 PM, erich wrote:
> Wow,
> Never thought I'd see it: defending Windows on a Linux listserv. Anyway
> the slowness is attributable to the network that the box is attached to,
> and
> that each user has a profile that gets downloaded at login. By "boot"

Still seems dreadfully long!  Obviously a consequence of some
IT group thinking they have "A Better Way"...  :(

> I mean the time interval when the box is turned on to the time you
> actually produce something with it.
> While were on the subject I heard that certain Blackberry smartphones
> were notorious for this. Owners tended to keep them on 24-7 rather than
> contend with the onerous wait, (something like 3 mins), for the thing to
> boot up from off state.

PDAs worked around this ("instant on") by never "booting".
Sort of like "hibernation" but without the cost of storing the
machine state onto disk and then retrieving it when "waking
up".  I.e., you have to deliberately "reset" them to force a
"reboot" (even then, startup is quick because much of the
software is XIP)