[Tfug] Throttling cpu based on cpu temp?

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Fri Mar 15 07:16:51 MST 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:45:02PM -0700, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> Don't know about based on heat. can throttle based on load if supported:

Right, but the problem here is sustained load, and the governors don't
take this into account.  So if my processor is maxing out on a task
for a handful of seconds (e.g., a statistical analysis), that's not a
problem and I'm happy for it to scale up temporarily.  But if it
sustains this for more than a couple of minutes (e.g., transcoding a
DVD), then the temperature begins to crawl up.

While I could just limit the cpu's maximum frequency, my preference is
to only do so when necessary.

The underlying cause might be that the fan isn't spinning up quickly
enough and/or spinning fast enough, so I'm investigating that as well.

Claude