[Tfug] Using a Laptop as a server

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Wed Mar 13 17:42:32 MST 2013

Hi,

I would have two issues with a laptop as a server (and yes, I have done
it in the past myself).

Lack of ECC memory.  <--- Memory errors scare me enough that I try and
use ECC even on desktop/workstation level systems

Lack of redundant hard disk drives <---  Unless you are willing to do
raid across internal and USB, or you get a laptop you can swap out the
optical drive for another HDD, you have issues.

Personally I would probably look at either the HP Microservers, or build
something low power based on AM3+ cpus and ECC memory.

Look for an 80+ silver or gold PSU, and the power usage should be
similar to a laptop.

-Harry