[Tfug] Western Digital "red" drives?

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 21:16:17 MST 2013

I used t think Seagate was a better drive vs WD, and I think I
remember they had a 5 year limited warranty, versus the WD 3 year.  I
have some old WD and Seagate boxes, and the old Seagates say 5 year
warranty and the WD boxes said 3 years.  I bought a seagate laptop
drive last year, and after putting it in I see it has a 1 on the top,
meaning a 1 year warranty.  Well that is a backup drive only now.
Then I see WD has reduced theirs to a 2 year warranty.  So now if I
get another drive is it a WD black, which has a 5 year warranty.

It might be that hard drive manufacturers are feeling decrease in
their business with tablets using memory/solid state drives, so they
are going through a rethinking stage.  "Spinning hard drive?  Thing of
the past."  But then it doesn't sound like they have the solid state
drives reliable for many many rewrites yet, so they (at least the last
time I searched on this subject) are not that reliable either.   Maybe
if the spinning drives get good cooling and a nice low vibration
environment, that would help.