[Tfug] Throttling cpu based on cpu temp?

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Thu Mar 14 19:58:48 MST 2013

I've been running into a problem with my Thinkpad's cpu overheating.
Scaling down the cpu frequency always solves the problem.  The
kernel's default behavior is to shutdown the machine if the cpu temp
reaches a particular threshold (I believe the threshold is 100C).

Two questions:

1.  Does anyone know if it's possible to change this default behavior?
I'd prefer for the machine to go into hibernate, rather than just
shutdown.

2.  I'd like to script a solution that will automatically throttle the
cpu if a particular cpu temperature is reached.  Obviously, I could
just write a little daemon that watches `acpi -t`, but I'm wondering
if there's a preferred way of doing this?  I'm thinking that this is
something that acpid might be able to handle, but my web searches
haven't turned anything up.

Thanks,

Claude