[Tfug] Linux kernel tcp delay options 4e7uzube

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Jun 7 21:54:29 MST 2013

On Friday 07 June 2013 18:25, Bexley Hall wrote:

> > opening a folder on mdir with 20k+
> > messages starts to slow down considerably, about 24sec on a 101k message
> > folder just to read and process the index in Kmail.
>
> Have you tried other clients to see if the delays are comparable?

Part of this is also the process of moving everything off my old laptop onto a
new one... But I don't want to store everything on my new laptop until Ive
configured the new the way I want. Im looking at possibly trying Sylpheed,
but I generally haven't liked other clients (I want a mail client, plain and
simple, not a contact/IM/etc manager).

> > Trying to upload off my
> > laptop mailstore to Cyrus, I'm only getting 15-20msg/sec transfer rate
> > with minimal CPU and bandwidth usage on both sides, no I/O waits evident
> > on the server, seems to be purely some sort of TCP delay (~3ms away from
> > the server).
>
> So, the times for connecting to Cyrus are orders of magnitude slower
> than accesses on the mailstore local to your laptop (using the same
> client?)  Or, are you comparing apples and orangutans, here?
> ("read and process the index" vs. "upload (message bodies) off my
> laptop")

Yes apples to oranges, but the first step is to actually get the mail copied
to another store. Then I can compare different clients/access methods against
the same store.

Adrian