[Tfug] Linux kernel tcp delay options 4e7uzube

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Jun 7 14:27:50 MST 2013

On Friday 07 June 2013 13:27, Nick Lopez wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2013, at 5:40 PM, Adrian <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> > UWmail and dovecot both use mbox for mailstores, which is pretty
> > much useless for my mailstore.
>
>   Um, Dovecot supports multiple backends, but the default/suggested one is
> the indexed Maildir. As long as you don't change the Maildir outside of
> Dovecot (IMAP, deliver, etc) the indexes won't have to be rebuilt
> constantly and can do their job. It copes just fine with Harry's email
> hoarding. (29G, 1.7M messages) as well as my own more modest 1.4G/79K
> Maildir.

My local laptop mailstore is ~1.1G/150k. opening a folder on mdir with 20k+
messages starts to slow down considerably, about 24sec on a 101k message
folder just to read and process the index in Kmail. Trying to upload off my
laptop mailstore to Cyrus, I'm only getting 15-20msg/sec transfer rate with
minimal CPU and bandwidth usage on both sides, no I/O waits evident on the
server, seems to be purely some sort of TCP delay (~3ms away from the
server).

Adrian