[Tfug] "Blade" servers

Yan zardus at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 02:25:10 MST 2013

So this probably isn't what you really want to hear, but this is the way we
do it here in the lab:

We have a bunch (I think the current number is 16) big, beefy (16 core, 96
gigs of ram, filled to the brim with SSDs) that are in an Openstack
deployment. When we need resources, we spin up some VMs (using something
like Saltstack, for example) which do some work (usually by using Celery to
handle task distribution) and then shut back down. The physical machines
themselves always stay on (although, if they're not being utilized, they
idle).

That's probably overkill for what you want, unless you need to automate an
entire compound of buildings, but there you go. For us, it's really nice.
Spinning up our own VMs let us ignore the fact that we're actually sharing
the hardware, and a Celery/RabbitMQ/MongoDB task workflow abstracts away
much of the distributed processing headaches.

I'm personally not aware of anyone that really powers on and off physical
servers on demand anymore. It's all cloud, all the time.