[Tfug] PDF Scripting examples

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 10:51:00 MST 2013

Hi Robert,

On 7/15/2013 2:53 AM, Robert Hunter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Viewing them from "Adobe Reader" (since "Acrobat" now means something
>> different than it did, originally) shows the intended behavior(s).
>>
>> So, I guess the "wannabes" don't implement the advanced features
>> that Adobe supports
>
> Then perhaps it would be more accurate to describe this as "Acrobat (or
> Adobe Reader) Scripting".
>
> Just sayin.

Given that Adobe created (and continues to define) the PDFormat,
I see no reason not to call it "PDF scripting" and just note
that not all PDF viewers are as capable as Adobe's.  E.g., you
can "view" a PDF using od(1)... it's just a helluvalot more
tedious to do so!  :>  (as damn near all the apparent "value"
of the format goes away)

E.g., an Excel spreadsheet viewer that doesn't support all the
features potentially present in a MSExcel spreadsheet (e.g.,
macros, charts, etc.) would similarly be "an Excel viewer that
is not as capable as MS's".

--don