[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 03:15:18 MST 2013

On 1/31/2013 2:34 AM, Bexley Hall wrote:

>> Would you be sure to send us the link to those HDDs you're using that
>> never fail?
>
> I have, at this moment, at least 40 drives installed in machines,
> here. The machines see varying degrees of use -- some on for
> weeks at a time, others a few hours at a time (which is probably
> harder on the drives than sustained use), still others with uptimes
> of hundreds of days. I repeat, I've had exactly three failures
> and all three were laptop drives.

It's late so, as a "wind down" exercise, I started counting drives.
Without leaving my seat (to see what other machines I may have
forgotten), I count *85* drives "in use" (i.e., spinning or able to
spin up within seconds).

[I tend to prefer lots of spindles instead of a few *huge* spindles.
Despite having good success with desktop/server drives, the idea of
"losing everything" if a single spindle failed is too terrifying!
I also don't like having lots of "projects" on the same machine...]