[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 20:48:37 MST 2013

On 1/28/2013 10:46 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> [snip]
> SSD's would probably fail in short order due to the
> inherent media life limitations (the read-write uses for
> the disk involve lots of update cycles).

Can you define "lots of update cycles"?

There are lots of fear around SSD lifespans that seems to be unfounded.
This forum [1] looks at some of these issues.  In most cases a 40~64 GB
drives allows a total of hundreds of terabytes of data to be written
before failing.  One contributor reported writing 685TB of data to a
40GB Intel 320 before it failed.  How much data are you going to write?!?

Beyond the endurance that you get out of a stock drive, as someone else
mentioned, more spare area (via empty space or over-provisioning) -->
less write amplification --> longer life span.  Additionally enterprise
class drives also offer better endurance (in many cases this is done, or
at least helped, by greater over-provisioning).

I personally have SSDs in all of my personal machines.  Intel X25-m
(40GB), OCZ Solid (30GB), OCZ Vertex-Turbo (30GB), Intel 520 (120GB) and
Intel 330, 4GiB who knows in my Eee PC 701 (4GB).   And an I'll admit
that I don't have write heavily to the systems (my worst offense is
probably the new 20+MB firefox-nightly package that I update daily.) but
I have had no problems with any of the system.

[1]
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

--
-john

                 2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
         0b11000100 || !0b11000100
         0b11000100 || 0b00111011
                0b11111111
255, that is the answer.