[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 15:44:27 MST 2013

Hi Zack,

On 1/29/2013 9:45 AM, Zack Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Bexley Hall<bexley401 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>
>> SSD's would probably fail in short order due to the
>> inherent media life limitations (the read-write uses for
>> the disk involve lots of update cycles).
>
> Most SSD's publish the number of writes before they'd fail.  As you
> have the system running, you can probably figure out your daily amount
> of data being read/written to the disk, and then extrapolate how long
> an SSD would theoretically last.  Also, the larger the SSD, the larger
> the "spare" area, so they tend to last longer.

Yes, it would be more economical to replace laptop drives every
couple of months than an SSD every year.  <frown>  Or, maybe
look at some of the small form factor SCSI drives (*intended*
to run continuously -- unlike laptop drives).

I think I will have to look for a hybrid solution.  Maybe some
slow RAM packaged to *look* like a disk.

> You can also buy enterprise class SSD's that have longer write
> endurance, but they tend to be much more expensive.

The dirty little secret, here, is this is accomplished by selling
a larger drive branded as a smaller one!  :<  "Ain't no free lunch!"

Thanks!
--don