[Tfug] Most stable laptop video drivers

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Jan 15 14:29:12 MST 2013

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 12:58, Bexley Hall wrote:

> > For example, my current laptop Radeon with the default X drivers has poor
> > 2D performance and 3D is(was?) non-existent. With the ATI binary drivers,
> > 2D is good and 3D is acceptable, but the ATI drivers completely fail to
> > detect my laptop LCD correctly resulting in great pains initially
> > installing the drivers (i.e. the ATI drivers want to launch a graphic
> > setup screen on install.. which completely fails when it can't correctly
> > detect the display dimensions).
>
> And, since you don't have the sources to *those* drivers, no easy way
> to "fix" the problem (or even jury-rig around it)

Exactly... I had to jury-rig the X config and hand-edit the driver install
files to manually add my 1400x1050 LCD display to get a working state to do
the installation. Once the driver was actually installed it detected and ran
fine, but the graphical installation tool was crap.

> > My laptop requirements should be drop dead simple... but with the
> > homogeneity in laptops today aimed at the lowest possible price point,
> > there really isn;t much in the way of true customization it seems.
> > Requirements (the non-HD is basically impossible for the last several
> > years):
> > - 15" LCD, non-HD display (i.e 4:3 or 16:10)
>
> 'non-HD' just so the '15"' is more usable?  (e.g., HD displays seem
> like they need to be *much* larger than their 4:3 counterparts in order
> to have the same "feel" as a 4:3 display)

Yes, for multi (side-by-side) windows, non-HD is far more useful. I currently
have a 15.4" SXGA+ 1400x1050 LCD. Resolution wise, a standard 15.6" HD
display is 1366x768 or 1600x900, so you have lost up to 25% of your vertical
resolution. Even at 1920x1080 it still sucks because that same 15.6" HD LCD
is physically 3/4" shorter than a 4:3 or 16:10 display:

15.4" 1400x1050 - 13.1"W x 8.2"H
15.6" 1920x1080 - 13.5"W x 7.6"H

> > - Network and power plugs on the same side or corner of the laptop
>
> Ha!  Interesting observation!  Makes sense.  E.g., I am very aware
> of where the cords for a soldering station enter/exit the base
> assembly for similar reasons.

Yeah... I can;t figure out the mentality of knowing that a laptop will be used
(for business) and will spend its time plugged in while in use... and then
placing the 2 things that will be plugged in on opposite sides of the laptop.

> > - Decent touchpad, centrally placed
>
> I've gone back and forth on the pointing device choice.  I *detest*
> nibs.  OTOH, touchpads have left me annoyed pretty often.  I think
> mainly those that are too sensitive and "see" the heel of my palms
> when I am typing (and my hands sag too low)

I too hate pointing nubs... touchpads can be a pain when placed to one side or
the other. Centrally placed (and not right on the edge of the keyboard), I
can type just fine without brushing the touchpad.

Adrian