[Tfug] Most stable laptop video drivers

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:55:16 MST 2013

Another comment I would add is that neither suspend nor hibernate work
on this machine with Linux 3.5, out of the box. It's possible that I
may be able to configure some quirks, or debug the problem, etc. When
I attempt to do either a suspend or hibernate, the system seems to
reach the correct state and then immediately turn itself back on (and
it seems to resume correctly).

I've noticed this to be one of the major problems with all free UNIX
clones still today, after all these years suspend/resume on laptops is
often still a hit or miss (and indeed, also fan control, hard disk
drivers, most power management functionality). Of course one could
argue (and I would) that it's more the laptops that are the problem
than the operating systems. ACPI is a mess and UEFI seems to have done
nothing to improve the situation.

If you want to run Linux on a laptop, you might be best off buying a
machine built for it, for example those at system76. I regret not
having done this when I had the opportunity.

Zack