[Tfug] Most stable laptop video drivers

ikemann ikemann.tfug at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:09:14 MST 2013

On 2013/01/14/ 3:01 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> On 1/14/2013 11:50 AM, Adrian wrote:
>> So, after filtering stuff out I'm basically left with laptops that
>> have the
>> following video GPUs:
>> ATI FirePro M5950
>> nVidia Quadro 1000M
>> AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7570M
>>
>> My current/dying laptop has a ATI Radeon x1100 in it, which always
>> worked
>> alright when setup, but was a pain in the butt to initially get working
>> correctly or upgrading the driver. Do any of the above just work
>> out-of-the-box with X? From what I can gather searching around, it
>> looks like
>> the nVidia probably has the best support, the 7570M the least...
>> Anyone with
>> personal experience?
>
> Do you have any other (e.g., performance!) criteria besides "robustness
> of driver"?  Or, do you want to squeeze the balloon at *both* ends?

I am wondering similarly.  I have a Thinkpad T60p with an ATI FireGL
5200 256 chip in it.  It is lovely with the latest *buntu distros.

That said, I think this was a drafting box at some point (where the chip
really mattered), and I have very little need for great graphics
performance.  It does fine with whatever the *buntu variants have
built-in in the way of a driver (probably the open-source ATI).

What do you need the box to do?

Best.

-- Ike