[Tfug] Wallpaper criteria

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 02:48:15 MST 2013

Hi Zack,

On 1/7/2013 7:57 PM, Zack Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Bexley Hall<bexley401 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> "tile-able" patterns.  "Nondescript".  For smaller root windows, I've even lived
>> with the traditional "weave" background.
>
> Like these? http://subtlepatterns.com

Wow, these are *really* subtle!  I'll have to see if I can massage
some of these into more useful forms.  The size of the step-and-repeat
cell in many of them is far too small -- almost "polka-dottish" in
regularity.  (I want something less *obviously* repetitive.  Look
at an acoustic ceiling tile, for example -- not the ones made of
little dots.  *If* there was a pattern there, you'd be hard pressed
to identify it without intensely concentrating on finding it!)

It's apparently hard to come up with a seamless tile pattern that
isn't "obvious" in its repetition.  Have a look at:
<http://www.commentnation.com/hotlinks/mosaic_tile_background_seamless_pattern_aqua.jpg>

>> But, for larger desktops, this is mind-numbing.  Even tiled patterns
>> get monotonous!  So, I started playing with photos for the wallpaper.
>
> I tend to grab stuff from:
>
> http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/
>
> which has a lot of very well tagged photos.

They seem similar to many that I've stumbled across.  Some are "OK"
but many "violate" the issues I mentioned previously (intensity,
hot spots, etc.).  How do *you* decide what works?  Just download,
install and see how "cooperative" it is with the rest of your desktop's
contents?

(e.g., the tile URL I mentioned above is *abysmal* in terms of color
and intensity variations -- though the repetition of the pattern is
pretty well hidden)

> If you want thematic: http://mantia.me/wallpaper/

Hmmm... I see a few there that I will download and evaluate.
Perhaps I can do some simple transforms on them to make a
"set" of similar wallpapers.

THanks!
--don