[Tfug] OT: Server parts in AZ?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 12:43:30 MST 2013

Hi Christopher,

On 1/2/2013 10:17 PM, Christopher Robbins wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good vendor of used server parts in the
> Phoenix/Tucson area?  I'm looking for some 4-port Ethernet cards
> and PC2-5300 RAM…The places I've run into on Craigslist don't
> seem to want to sell parts, but would rather sell the entire server.
> I can order on eBay, but I was hoping to find a place I could pick
> up parts locally.

You can try World Care but it will be a hit-or-miss propostition,
there.  They just got rid of a bunch of 1U, 2U and 4U? servers
a few weeks ago -- these could have been a good source for pulls.
Otherwise, you'd have to wander in and see what's lying around.

"Gary" can probably keep an eye open for anything more exotic
for you -- though likely not "low dollar" items.  "Pam" or
"Chuck" can help you with whatever is available *now*.

Last time I checked, there were still some 2U servers in their store.
I have no idea what was stuffed in them, though, by way of interface
cards.  Servers tend to be more work than they are $worth for them
so they don't get a lot of attention.

[Ha!  I could have said that as "their worth" or "they're worth"!
I think?  Cool!]

There is also a recycle-type store on 22nd and Park (?) but no
idea what they stock.  U of A auctions are more "work" than
either of these other options and just as unpredictable in terms
of availability.

I've a pair of 4 port 10/100 cards but they are in use, currently.
But, I have a 2 port 10/100/1000 card that I pulled from a server
recently (no idea as to status -- my fabric won't support GB speeds
so I didn't bother to test it).  You are welcome to it if it will be
of any help. It is an "Intel Pro 1000 MT Dell J1679 PCIX 133".

PM if interested.

--don