[Tfug] Most stable laptop video drivers

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Jan 14 11:50:02 MST 2013

Anyone have personal experience with the current crop of laptop video drivers
on different platforms? My laptop is finally about to go kaput... I have been
holding out for the last year and a half waiting for a non-HD laptop display
to be back on the market, but it is still all the same HD crap screens.

So, after filtering stuff out I'm basically left with laptops that have the
following video GPUs:
ATI FirePro M5950
nVidia Quadro 1000M
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7570M

My current/dying laptop has a ATI Radeon x1100 in it, which always worked
alright when setup, but was a pain in the butt to initially get working
correctly or upgrading the driver. Do any of the above just work
out-of-the-box with X? From what I can gather searching around, it looks like
the nVidia probably has the best support, the 7570M the least... Anyone with
personal experience?

Adrian