[Tfug] Wallpaper criteria

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 11:24:50 MST 2013

Hi,

For the most part, my "wallpaper" choices have been simple, "tile-able"
patterns.  "Nondescript".  For smaller root windows, I've even lived
with the traditional "weave" background.

But, for larger desktops, this is mind-numbing.  Even tiled patterns
get monotonous!  So, I started playing with photos for the wallpaper.

At first blush, this seemed cool.  But, I quickly discovered that
not all photos are created equal when it comes to something sitting
under your active workspace!

What's most frustrating is that I can't seem to be able to look
at a photo and decide *if* it is likely to be a good candidate
for wallpaper.

I typically run 2 - 4 virtual desktops/workspaces on a machine.  A
cheap way to increase desktop space by distributing different
applications (clients) to different workspaces.   For example, if
I'm laying out a circuit board, I can keep the schematic and layout
on my primary desktop and have a "notes" file that I occasionally
access to record some comments from the layout process (e.g.,
"moved mounting hole in upper left corner to make room for U37").
I try to pick the desktop imagery (until now, different tile-able
patterns) so that I can remember which desktop is used for each
purpose (as well as which hot-key to access that desktop!)

So, I need "sets" of wallpaper photos -- not just *a* photo.
Often with a coordinating "theme" (e.g., one set of tiles had
blue circles, red squares -- the pattern and color made it
easy to subconsciously remember what was *behind* a particular
window when you last saw it.  Remember, sometimes windows are
overlayed or minimized!)

With all that in mind, I'm looking for some set of criteria that
I can objectively apply to "wallpaper candidates" to eliminate
the need to *try* each to determine its efficacy (i.e., much
of this imagery has to be downloaded).

I think I've come up with some criteria based on my reactions
to the dozens of images I've already tried (and hundreds! I've
"perused").

- minimize fine detail (icons get lost if the image is too busy)
- darker better than lighter (windows are often light -> contrast)
- uniform brightness (bright spots tend to beg to be covered!)
- regular patterns better than "random" (more "predictable")

Any other criteria you can think of?  What sort of imagery do
*you* have staring back at you as you work??

Alternatively, any pointers to resources that have already done
this sort of thinking??  Searching for "wallpaper" tends to just
turn up pages of photos...

Thx,
--don