[Tfug] Slightly OT: Weird home networking issue

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 19:13:48 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

On 2/22/2013 5:35 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> 169.?? My network uses 192.168.xxx.xxx

I suspect the router (DHCP server therein) isn't actually
serving up 169 addresses but, rather, the client (PC) is
*assuming* a 169 address indicative that it doesn't have a
valid IP address (yet).  You will often see this on wireless
interfaces as they come up since you typically have the
system "already running" when you try to connect to an AP
whereas wired connections tend to negotiate their IP's
*while* booting (i.e., you don't often "plug/unplug" wired
connections like you do wireless ones)

AFAIK, you should be able to verify this by checking the lease
time on the IP address *at* the client (i.e., how long the
client has been *told* it is valid for).

[I only use static addresses, here, so can't comment firsthand]