[Tfug] Check file system and restore array

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Mon Feb 11 13:34:17 MST 2013

I'll have to check what exactly it says it says next time I have it up.
thought I would be working on it today with the rains moving about
because my outside project is welding a cat cage. But turns out I have
to do some running about.

I dug through my drives and found 3 WD 40Gb IDE's. I used them before on
an older version of this system. I'm thinking I will pull the sata's for
now, put the IDE's in and install linux fresh with raid. That way raid
is set up with a stock kernel instead of needed a custom built with raid
modules compiled in. It also gets linux updated and maybe cleans up any
other stuff that may have creeped in by  just updating. Then I'll try to
grab the programs and config files, etc. from the sata drives, and try
to move any stored data from the sda/b pair to the sdc/d pair. Then
reformat the sda/b pair and switch to ext4 at the same time. currently
using ext3 and from what I've heard, ext4 would be better because of thr
large files with recordings. I will continue to have vdr break
recordings into 2Gb files because it's handy for moving them around.
Not sure if I should keep the boot/os partition in ext3 or move it to 4
as well. Sometimes newer file systems are not as good on smaller
partitions with small files and the boot will be around 40Gb. Looks like
my DVR will be down awhile.

The power supply I had used was a Cooler Master 550w. Not top of the
line, but didn't seem to have any bad reports. The replacement is an
antec. The first 2 seagate drives came from Newegg and the second set
cam from Elliots. The first drive to fail was one of the Newegg drives,
but after that I don't know which from where. I did find out after the
first drive went down that the seagate 500Gb drives had a real high
failure rate that was latter fixed with a firmware update. The failures
tended to happen after a power down/up. So very likely the drives where
from batches with old firmware. I dealt directly with  seagate on all
the returns, so they should have the fix.