[Tfug] Check file system and restore array

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Sat Feb 9 17:52:03 MST 2013

Grub as always given an error about the floppy at boot. It does a drive
seek, then says something like fd0 error, then boots from the hard
drives. The cpu is an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ dual core. Motherboard is
Asus M2N-E. And yes it runs 24x7 and is on a UPS. I built 2 of these,
one for me and one for my dad, but then he decided to just use hulu. The
one I built for him just has 2 WD 500Gb, drives in raid 1 and basicly
the same cpu, only a 5000. How I ended up building that second system is
another long story not really relevent cept it is the reason I will
never buy another asus motherboard. His system was built with 32bit
linux, mine was built with 64bit. Oh, and I built my system in a 4U rack
case with very good cooling.

Buying anymore new hardware is not an option. I spent more then I could
afford already on this problem when it was in the shop. Mixing parts is
also not much of an option, The board in his system won't boot with ECC
memory set to ECC. Won't get past post if ECC is turned on in cmos. It
also doesn't reconize this cpu correctly. They screwed somethings up in
the newer bios it has.

I did get the old power supply back, but I just put it away. I have
worked on switch mode power supplies many times in VCRs and once parts
start going bad in them, it's best not to bother with it. I know about
caps testing ok, even looking ok, no domed tops, swrunk skin etc. It
takes a $1000 cap checker to properly test them. The high frequency
heats them internally drying them out. Always use 105 degree rated caps
in switch modes.

I think any extra drives I have laying around are IDE. They may not show
a problem if it's a sata problem. I'd have to dig around and see what I
have. Would be good to have for testing new kernel builds though
sometime down the road.