[Tfug] Best lightweight window manager?

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:55:08 MST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Christopher Robbins <robbinsc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a pretty beefy box configured for virtualization testing.
> Configuration looks like this -
>
> Intel i7 3770k
> 32 GB RAM
> 128 GB SSD
> 1 TB SATA
> Linux Mint 14
>
> Running top reveals that I'm burning a ton of memory on cinnamon and other
> related desktop processes..o_O
>
> What's the best, lightweight window manager out there?  I don't care as much
> about usability - as long as I can run dual displays, I'm happy.

Before eventually switching to Gnome 2 (and now Gnome 3), I was a big
fan of AfterStep.  It is very light on resources and I always found it
easy to use and easy to configure.  You can also crank up some of the
eye candy without any noticeable effect on speed or memory usage.
Here, eye candy refers to what was super cool in the pre-Gnome 2 days,
stuff like gradients and semi-transparent terminals and decorations.

On my Mythbox, where I just need something to sit behind the
mythfrontend process, I use Openbox since you can configure it to be
all but gone and out of the way if necessary.  I also like XFCE for a
lightweight desktop.  I also run this on my Mythbox under a VNC
session that I access from elsewhere on my LAN.

--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for Palm OS  --  http://weaselreader.org
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max