[Tfug] Small-ish (capacity + size) disk alternatives

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 13:37:37 MST 2013

On Friday, February 1, 2013 12:31 PM Bexley Hall wrote

[snip]

>I.e., I have no desire to write drivers and design hardware interfaces
>for every model of weather station, garage door opener, PZT camera
>base, etc. on the market!  I'll design for what *I* have and let
>others peer over my shoulder to see *how* I approached the task in
>the hope that they can "tinker" with my *existing* design instead of
>having to start from scratch.
>
>[Over the years, I have noticed that very few folks can sit with
>a blank piece of paper and "create" -- most need a framework that
>someone else has already implemented... that they can "modify"]
>
>[snip]
>
>Users are already familiar with external USB drives.  And, as
>long as I avoid proprietary filesystem formats, they can
>"maintain" that media inventory using COTS tools -- a Mac,
>a PC, etc. (so I don't have to create tools to do this work)
>
>If such a drive *fails*, the user can go to Costco and purchase
>a replacement.  If they lose their media inventory, <shrug>
>Next time, buy *two* drives and make a copy (using your PC)
>onto the backup drive.
>
>[Why not have a "copy media" utility built into the system?
>Because then you'll go to Costco with a defective drive and
>try to explain to them how your Frajistat9000 gave you an
>"error 27:  replace drive" message.  And they will look at
>you with a blank stare:  "Is that a Mac or a PC?"]

Let me get this straight: your system is a framework for tinkerers who are going to write their own *nix weather station driver, but aren't smart enough to understand what a defective drive is?  This is a bit of an exageration but it sounds like you are kind of targeting the small subset of the population that is both mentally retarded and a member of MENSA.  That might end up being a very small target market...

 -john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 ||  0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.