[Tfug] [tfug] bouncing post

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 16:39:19 MST 2013

Hi Timothy,

[I am copying the list just as a "test message" to see if something
there is broken...]

On 2/6/2013 3:39 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> Hi, after the first reply, I haven't been able to post. The mail keeps
> getting rejected/bounced.

Is the list simply *refusing* your posts altogether?
Or, does your post come back with a "note" telling you
that you have to resubmit it?

I.e., sometimes, the list complains if it *thinks* your post might be
spam.  In those cases, it returns your mail and tells you to resubmit
it with a special "code" appended to the subject line (to prove that
you are a human being, etc.).

E.g., I notice that some of my longer posts will "bounce" and have to
be resubmitted with the "code of the day" (it changes every 24 hours)
appended to the *subject* in order for it to be accepted.

(Sometimes you will see messages posted with subjects like:
     Some particular subject xq66pl2m
Here, the "xq66pl2m" is obviously not part of the *intended*
subject.  Rather, it's the "code" that the list server told the
original poster to append to the subject because the original
message "looked suspicious".)

It could well be that the list software is having some problems
(or, the server itself might be hosed).  Jon's pretty responsible
so he'll sort it out.  But, it's something he does out of the
kindness of his heart -- it's not his "job" -- so patience is
warranted.

> When I signed up, I got as far as clicking the link in the email, but
> didn't get the welcome email until I emailed the list maintainer. Got
> the welcome message, got one post through, now they all bounce. I just
> sent a second email reporting the problem.

Sounds like there is a problem with the list software.  :<

"Sh*t Happens"
--don