[Tfug] Cabling

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 00:19:47 MST 2013

Hi Louis,

On 12/1/2013 2:52 PM, Louis Taber wrote:
> When IBM moved equipment in a computer center with channel cables, the
> cables were often just left in place.  It was simply too difficult to
> remove them.  My recollection has each of the dual cables being about 1.5
> inches in diameter.

This is a gray area.  The Code was revised to discourage "abandoned
cables" being left in place.  Now, "accessible" cables that are NOT
"permanently" tagged as "for future use" are supposed to be removed
from the premises.

Of course, how a particular inspector wants to *interpret* that is
debatable.  And, what constitutes "accessible" (cables in EMT are
probably considered less accessible than wires draped along a wall!)

OTOH, if you view the NEC as having *merit* and not just being
something to "annoy", one would tend to want to comply and *really*
rid themselves of "abandoned cable" and not just *claim* it is
there "for future use".

Unnecessary cable poses a fire hazard, helps propagate established
fires and acts to entangle fire-fighters battling a fire on premises.
(i.e., if you are abandoning it, then why not get *rid* of it!)

The same sort of thing applies to other wiring.  And, probably more
of an issue in commercial establishments than residences (commercial
establishments also tend to have more at risk)