[Tfug] Western Digital "red" drives?

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:24:56 MST 2013

One thing about a laptop is that is it already equipped with a UPS,
unless the battery is no good.

On the lack of quality, there are a couple factors.  If the product
has too much quality and lasts too long, the manufacturer goes out of
business from lack of repeat business.  Software companies know this
too as they make sure their software is vulnerable and you have to
upgrade to be "safe".  If you make TVs that are good for 25 years,
then you sell a new one in 25 years.  If you make some that die in 10
years, much better, much much better for the business.  And it can be
sold for a smaller price.

Another factor is that some company starts selling cheap versions of
something, like T shirts for 99 cents.  People start buying them, even
if they only last for a month, because hey, it is only 99 cents.
Maybe you can buy one for $5 and it lasts 5 years, and you can get one
for 99 cents and it lasts a month, so maybe you spend $60 for 99 cent
T shirts when you could have gotten by for $5 one time, but hey, it is
only 99 cents, a real bargain and we love bargains.  And maybe it is a
lot less washing of T shirts.

It bugs me the way that Linux seems to be going the security upgrade
leaves your install unsupported and unable to use the latest Firefox
direction also.  Latest kernel upgrade in CentOS 6.5 leaves my M90
very dim, like it doesn't allow the back-light to go to a very high
level.  If I boot in the kernel just before that, it is just fine.
Another kernel upgrade in Mint dropped support for my particular
wireless chip.  The one next older still worked.  Sure it is an older
laptop, but now Linux is seeming to get on the "you must upgrade your
hardware" bandwagon.