[Tfug] Innocuous/ubiquitous service(s)?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 16:50:24 MST 2013

Hi Zack,

>> - "unsurprising" if run on a "non-standard" port (e.g., running
>>    HTTPd on port 3422 would raises eyebrows)
>
> alt-port HTTP is pretty common.

Yes.  HTTPd seems *the* ubiquitous service.  And, "unusual"
ports are not uncommon.

It, however, chokes on the criterion:
    - easily differentiated for each instantiation (i.e., my deployment
      on (IPa,PORTb) appears, out-of-the-box, *different* from your
      deployment on (IPc,PORTd)
I.e., you'd end up with lots of services offering the same, "stock",
"trivial" <insert-your-home-page-here>.html.  The user would have
to *do* something to create "unique" content to be served up.

> NTP?

(S)NTP is a good candidate in that it is "uninteresting", not
unrealistic for it to become more commonly deployed, easy to implement,
etc.  You could intentionally advertise it as a very high stratum
making the service *appear* to be effectively "worthless"
("unsynchronized").

But, serving it on some "atypical" port could raise eyebrows:
"Why is this here?"

The same arguments apply to BIND.

I.e., HTTPd seems to be one of the few services that is *often*
encountered on unusual ports; not so for these others...

<frown>