[Tfug] HTTP file size limitation

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 23:56:14 MST 2012

Hi,

--- On Thu, 9/27/12, unix mitosis <unixmito at SDF.ORG> wrote:

> I've had a similar issue. Have you tried to download a similar
> sized file for comparison? The file sizes are usually packed in
> to long ints, or double long, or something like that.

The fact that there was a difference of exactly 4294967296 bytes
between the actual file size and the number of bytes transferred
prior to the "stall" suggested something in the link was counting
with a uint32 -- even though the protocol itself successfully
conveyed the actual size of the file.

> Try a download manager. THere's a free open source version at
> portableapps.com. They allow the user to download byteranges
> which allows the HTTP protocol to selectively download partial
> portions of a larger file.'

Problem isn't *getting* the file -- I made a point of grabbing
the file's contents onto a USB drive while I was at the library.

The issue is trying to understand where the problem originates
and see if there are *real* remedies available.  (see my other
post of this evening).

Knowing where the culprit lies is (more than) half the solution!

<grin>

--don