[Tfug] HTTP file size limitation

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 22:41:58 MST 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps over-tired and this might make more sense to me
> after some Zzzz's...
>
> I was trying to pull down a 4.4G file on an XP box via
> Firefox, today.  Transfer went well for the first 435MB,
> then, suddenly, stopped.
>
> Hmmm...

> So, what's going on??
>
> (sigh)  I'll look at it again in the morning.  My body can't
> handle these 40 hour days, anymore.  :<
>
> --don

Don,

The short answer is, no, there is no such ~434 MB limit in the HTTP
protocol.  If there is a defined maximum, it's very big.  People
download CD and DVD images from the Net everyday and the latter can be
far larger than 434 MB.

You mentioned trying two versions of Firefox and one version of IE on
Windows as well as wget on NetBSD, which would seem to insulate your
end from being the problem.  You didn't mention trying more than one
website, however.  I would place my guess for the blame on the remote
end.

--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for Palm OS  --  http://weaselreader.org
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max