[Tfug] Recessed "RJ45" wall plate

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 12:32:52 MST 2012

Hi Steve,

--- On Fri, 9/21/12, az teech <azteech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don, if memory serves right (and that is suspect :P) ... I have see
> similar to what you are looking for at Home Depot. They have the boxes,
> as well as the open back face plate.

They have a nice recessed duplex outlet (though the design is such
that the outlet is part of the mounting bezel -- remove bezel and
you have the outlet *in* your hand, wiring exposed, etc.).  See:
<http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZarcd/R-202066691/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=recessed&storeId=10051>

[N.B. This would be ideal if the outlet was replaced with one
keystone slot -- though I could live with more and just put filler
plugs in the unused ones.  "One" being best as it would then be
centered in the opening, more room for fat fingers to plug/unplug
the mating cable, etc.  And, the fact that all the wiring would be
"exposed" when you removed the bezel (as above) would be a non-issue
as there are no hazardous voltages present -- unlike on the back of
the NEMA receptacle!]

They also have the outlet + 6 keystone item that I mentioned in
my initial post (looks like the above referenced device but with
6 keystone slots off to the side).

And, a bunch of *big* assemblies (> 2 gang) intended to hide
behind a (wide) TV.

Each installation (three total) is at eye level in very "public"
places (i.e., they aren't "out of the way" corners where they can
be ignored/overlooked).  They will sit behind a *small* touch panel
display (current plans to use the Infocast NS-DP8CH that Zack W
suggested, here -- thanks Zack!).  These are really pretty small
so anything that has to be *hidden* behind them needs to be
smaller still!  A single gang, *standard* size (wall plates
come in different sizes!) wall plate is OK if the display can
snuggle up close to it (so the wall plate isn't obvious when
looking at the display from off to the side, etc.).  Even
better if the wallplate is mounted horizontally (as the "scoop"
design you presented previously).

The depth of the recess is important (and never spelled out in the
descriptions of these things!  :<  ) because it has to accommodate
any portion of the connector and its mate that extends beyond the
plane of the "back" of the recess.  Also, it has to accommodate
some portion of the service loop that connects the display panel
*to* the wall plate.   (unlike a TV where you have some dead air
space back there that you can exploit).

Things have to "look nice" when/if the display panel is removed
(think service, repair, etc.) -- even if that is only temporary.

If we ever decide to sell the house (and, obviously, take all this
kit with us!), those "unusual UNUSED wallplates" can disappear
by simply pushing the wire into the wall and plastering over it.

This box is a bit larger (since the bezel effectively increases
the dimensions of the *standard* wall plate recessed inside!):

<http://www.aifittings.com/products/images/products/DVFR1W.jpg>

but, it would allow me to use a single Decora wall plate with
a one-keystone filler plate to get what I want.  Unfortunately,
in their attempt to more universally support "old work"
installations, the bezel has two additional (off center) holes
in it which mucks it up, visually.

Doubly annoying is the fact that the *original* design of the
product had only the typical *pair* of holes in the bezel.  Of
course, I'll never be able to guarantee purchasing "NOS" from
an online vendor -- they probably wouldn't even notice the
difference between the new and old versions!

So, I'll have to see if I can find some old stock sitting on
a shelf someplace.  Or, keep looking...

[Or, recess the entire display into the wall]

> Was looking for similar items for a
> recessed project, electrical though, and they had the box as well as the
> open back flange wall plate. If you happen to be near on, you might want
> to see what they have in their electrical dept. I know lowes doesn't
> carry them.

I've pretty much canvassed HD in person and on-line and haven't
found what I'm looking for.  Ditto for Lowes.  Even an "image
search" on goop-gull fails to turn up anything that is still
being sold, etc.  <frown>

> Another place might be to look at the Electrical Supply
> warehouses in town.

Anyplace in particular?  It seems like most places carry the same
stuff.  Flat panel TVs seem to have shifted the emphasis for
"recessed <whatever>" to be TV specific.  E.g., I think if you
asked someone for a recessed *clock* outlet they would look
at you funny...

I'll keep looking.  Maybe I can convince the manufacturer to
sell me some NOS (unlikely but doesn't cost anything to ask!)

[why do all these piddly things eat up so much time??]

Thanks!
--don