[Tfug] GPL Worthless?

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun Sep 9 22:27:24 MST 2012

I think this debate about GPL is just the froth on the cauldron.

Traditionally big companies such as IBM and HP would contribute
items to the Linux community, and distros would incorporate these
software technologies into their upgrades.

Enter Google. The software giant has the resources to completely
modify the kernel and the associated architecture to satisfy their
own business plan. Never mind whether or not anything they do
can be incorporated into Debian/FC or whatever.

To put it another way, Does Debian run on tablet PC's or smartphones?
or is it just for server farms?

My sister-in-law blissfully spends hours on her Ipad with never a thought
to the legions of server farms that make her experience possible.

Erich