[Tfug] GPL Worthless?

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 01:57:53 MST 2012

Don,

Richie is correct that the FSF is one of the main bodies that pursues GPL
violations.  Of course, they don't do this proactively.  The actual
copyright holder has to bring it to their attention and in most cases
litigation never occurs because the guilty party will make some effort at
releasing source (and remember that you need only release your changes; you
don't have to do anything for just *using*).  The FSF doesn't just troll
the Internet for possible violations.

I can't think of any offhand, but if you follow Slashdot you will see
stories about GPL violations and resolutions every now and then.

Also, I would argue that the commercial world is not the be all end all for
copyleft use.  The honor system does, in fact, exist and does work among
many FOSS developers and proponents.  The fact that I *choose* to honor the
terms of the GPL when applicable means that the license does indeed have
worth and power.

Personally, I always use the GPL unless their are some conflicting
circumstances.  I use it because I like what it does and what it
represents.  That said, I rarely do anything related to hardware and you
make a very good argument for using a BSD-like license in that case.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org