[Tfug] Network documentation

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:35:31 MST 2012

Hi,

I'm not an IT person so I have no idea where to begin...

What are current best practices regarding documenting
a particular network installation?  E.g., should the
wiring be documented in the physical sense (where
runs/devices actually are located, terminated, etc.) or
just the "virtual" sense (the following nodes are on this
network segment and/or subnet)?

Are there recognized icons for this use (like is common
in process control)?  Or, just an ad-hoc "convention"?
Or, is a *textual* representation (and accounting) more
effective (e.g., W.X.Y.Z having MAC of XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
is a Footronics 2785 with 3GHz/4GB/2T running BogOs 5.2)?

What other information might I not have thought of that
I will potentially *regret* not having, down the road
(e.g., jacket color, wire type, etc.)?

And, any conventions I should observe for host/network
naming (e.g., how to name interfaces on a multihomed host!)?

Thanks!
--don