[Tfug] Need urgent help repairing a video file...and yeah, it's a Linux issue...

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 15:02:45 MST 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Bowie J. Poag <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
> Much aha... Which political party?

Aren't they all evil?

> I have a broken .mp4 file on my hands that is critically important to a
> political thing I'm doing.
>
> The file is at:
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1825088/ScytlBaltimore.mp4

Tsk tsk... Dropbox?  Really?  Those "collaborate with the government"
flunkies who lie about their security?

I guess it's OK in this case, if you're just going to distribute a file...

> I've tried using a front-end to ffmeg called "format junkie" to fix this
> critter and the error it spits out is "moov atom not found".  This
> apparently means the data might be there, but the video format structure
> does exist.

I'm not too sure of that. Running it through a few tests with vlc and
ffprobe lead me to believe this file is really messed up.

> http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php
>
> Awesome!  An open-source util that can cope with this.

I tried compiling this.

The person who wrote it decided to use a bunch of QT's crap to compile
a command line application.  In what universe does that make sense?

If you can figure out what few packages it requires to compile, I'll
try it again.

- Zack