[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Bender bender at bendertherobot.com
Sat Oct 20 11:39:01 MST 2012

I hesitate to say anything but...
unraid works for me
One parity drive is used for redundancy.
Each data disk contains native format data (volumes not striped across
disks)
Logical volumes can span across physical disks
Energy /thermally efficient - only need to spin up the drive you want to
get/write data from/to  (plus parity drve)
raid 4 but not striped

Can use a bunch of drives you have lying around to build volumes up to the
capacity of your parity drive.

distro is mnimalist - just for a nas role

*not* free.
but an *untimebombed* version is available to evaluate
full featured, but number of disks limited

FWIW...