[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 21:32:58 MST 2012

>> Larger the better to start with, either 3x3TB or 3x4TB in
>> Raid5 would be a good starting point.
>
> Again, I don't think the need for redundancy/ENHANCED reliability
> really justifies the added cost/complexity -- I'd rather throw
> the extra disk space at postponing the day when I've got to sort
> out what to keep/discard.

Just an FYI - for large disks, there a not-insignificant change of
data corruption when doing RAID rebuilds:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1670144

> I think I'm going to look at building a small FreeBSD box
> (I don't think NetBSD supports USB3 reliably, yet) with
> just basic file services and see how it fares.

If you do this, I'd recommend using ZFS, as FreeBSD supports it well
and will checksum all your on-disk data, to at least alert you if the
disk is going south.

ZFS's copy-on-write architecture allows you to create on-disk
snapshots almost instantaneously.

- Zack