[Tfug] NAS suggestions

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 10:07:35 MST 2012

Hi Dean,

--- On Sat, 10/13/12, Dean Jones <dean.jones at gmail.com> wrote:

> Check out FreeNAS.

Yes, I'd looked at that -- as well as OpenFiler.
But, I think they try to be *real* NAS's instead of just
a "disk on a wire" (which, considering my stated goals, is
essentially all I need -- but a *fat* wire!)

> Uses ZFS on freebsd.  The OS runs off usb stick, so all drives are for
> data.  There are some caveats with ZFS like ECC memory is a must, and
> it loves large amount of memory.  But the previously mentioned HP
> microservers run it well, just max the ram.

I think my efforts might be better placed on a decent MB with
GB NIC and USB3 ports.  If the device is just acting to "move
bytes THROUGH", there should be little need for gobs of RAM,
etc.  (again, I'm not looking for a generic file service that
is going to see lots of clients and random R/W access)

Thx,
--don