[Tfug] Equipment rack options

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 17:25:22 MST 2012

Hi Zack,

--- On Sat, 10/13/12, Zack Williams <zdwzdw at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or, given that I'll be reskinning
> > it, perhaps an alternate construction technique (build
> > a wooden enclosure and attach equipment mounts to it?)
>
> I'd probably go this route if you're going to be building
> the rest of the case.  Square hole bare rails are relatively
> inexpensive.

The advantage to this approach is I can get whatever height
I need, etc.  ("Yes, I'd like to order a 23RU rack, please...")

The DISadvantage is that I can't rely on the structural integrity
of an existing rack frame to "hang" sides on, etc.  I.e., I have
to make a *sturdy* cabinet and drop the rails into it instead
of having a sturdy frame and hanging a (flimsy, but pretty) skin
on it!

> To keep the whole thing in alignment, mount blank panels on
> the rails at top/bottom when you're building it.

Ah, good idea!  I think I have some 6-8U panels that would really
make it easy to keep things stiff!

I'll snoop around and see what I can find by way of existing
short racks, though -- before starting down a significant
carpentry experience.

Thx!
--don