[Tfug] Thumb drive sizes

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 11:47:25 MST 2012

Hi,

I use thumb drives primarily for SneakerNet.  For the
most part, I've been living with 2G and 4G drives and
have had very few problems.  On the few occasions when
I've needed to move bigger objects, I drag out a USB
laptop drive and use that as my shuttle.

Lately, however, I am finding that stuff tends to accumulate
on the thumb drives.  Things that I have removed from
machine A but not yet copied to machine B.  Or, things
that I feel it more efficient to keep on the thumb drive
so I can reload at will.

As a result, the effective space on any given drive seems
to be edging downward -- I'm always hunting for different
drives to see which one might have the most free space, etc.

Time to buy more.

But, where's the current "sweet spot" in thumb drive densities?
E.g., a 4G probably costs much less than two 2G; an 8G less than
two 4's (?)... but, a 64 compared to two 32's??  etc.

As I said, 2's and 4's have been good for me -- so far.  I'm
guessing anything bigger than 16 would just *invite* me to
leave stuff accumulating on the drive.

Or, should I just exercise more self-discipline and make a point
of cleaning off each drive *regularly*?

Thx,
--don