[Tfug] Wireless To Go

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Thu Nov 29 10:52:49 MST 2012

On 11/28/2012 11:06 PM, Zack Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Linux Media <linuxmedia2 at aim.com> wrote:
>> I'm going to be kicked out of my apartment in 2 days. I'm going to be
>> "floating" as I look for a permanent place to live. I think it's imperative
>> that I have wireless internet connected to the Laptop as I'm living in
>> temporary situations.
>>
>> Does anyone know which wireless situation would be (for the most part)
>> trouble free to set up on the laptop?

> I'm not sure on the status of 3G/4G cards/phones when hooked to a
> Linux machine.  I'd assume most would work out of the box.

Yeah, I can look into that. You know how Linux is though... it could
work out of the box or it can take a week to get working. I've been able
to accomplish almost everything I've tried with Linux, it's just how
long do I have to experiment. I could be homeless in a few days.

> You might consider getting a router like the Cradlepoint units (which
> run NetBSD) to bridge a USB dongle to wifi/ethernet.  These are also
> handy for diagnostic purposes.

Ok, if I get a chance I'll look this up.

Thanks for the input,
Rocco