[Tfug] Fwd: Open Government Initiative

John Gruenenfelder jetpackjohn at gmail.com
Mon May 7 17:02:18 MST 2012

On May 7, 2012 4:36 PM, "Joshua Zeidner" <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
>  I'm suspicious as well.
>
>  Most of these programs aim to appeal to ideas such as 'transparency',
'information access', etc. but typically want to promote some kind of
political bias.  In the case of Tucson and Phoenix, demographics data is a
CRITICAL NATIONAL ISSUE and I doubt very much that some local initiative
would have the political clout to simply start publishing it on the net.

>  -jmz

While I have no desire to be used or lied to, doesn't it seem
counterproductive to assume ill will and malfeasance from the start?  Let's
face it, this isn't something that has been tried repeatedly and ended in
failure.  At least, not in Arizona and Tucson.

It would best to take the offer at face value until there is some sign that
the goal is something other than open government.  I should think it would
be fairly obvious to detect being jerked around.

I also don't understand your statement about the demographics data.
Regardless of whether or not the data is nationally important, why wouldn't
a local initiative be able to place it online?  And if dark forces come out
of the woodwork to block this, then at least we'll know who opposes it.

--John Gruenenfelder
Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS -- http://weaselreader.org
"This is the most fun I've had without being drenched in the blood of my
enemies!"
--Sam of Sam & Max