[Tfug] disk usage mystery..

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:56:43 MST 2012

Narrowed down the problem.. lightdm or at least something related to X.

If I switch to a virt term and "stop lightdm" the disk is still full,
but ps shows that lightdm doesn't fully exit because of pulseaudio. So
I "killall pulseaudio" and bam! I have 1GB free. No reboot needed and
its not a system/kernel bug. Still no sign of what file is actually
taking up 1GB of space, even using lsof. FWIW, killing pulseaudio
without shutting down x and stopping lightdm has no affect.

On a whim, I tried using gdm instead of lightdm and got all excited
because it appeared to work fine for a day, but I see my free disk
space is plummeting at a rate of about 3MB every minute as I type
this.

JDR