[Tfug] POE to motherboard power suuplies

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sat Jun 9 19:30:20 MST 2012

Hi,

On 6/9/12 4:54 PM, Adrian wrote:
> Title pretty much says it all... Has anyone come across a POE (48V) to ATX (or
> preferably nano-ITX) power supply? Not a mini-ITX 12V input, but real 802aef
> 48V input? Im working on a small embedded server (max about 14W) that I want
> to hang directly off a POE switch.
This is going to be hard to find, you are more likely to find something
in 802.3at and not .af

Even most of the small pico PSUs don't go lower then about 90 watts, and
I doubt they would power up on less then 2 or 3 amps at 12V, which is
well above what a converted 48V 15 watt 802.3af could provide at 12V,
plus stacking them would have losses too.

VIA handled this with the APC spec by only using the +12 V from the PC
style power.

http://apc.io/

-Harry