[Tfug] A Strange Phone Call

Mike Abeyta kg6cmi at msn.com
Wed Jul 4 07:22:59 MST 2012

On 07/04/2012 04:39 AM, JD Rogers wrote:
> That was some patience! My favorite was the Samuel Clemens bit. When
> you admitted that Samuel Clemens wasn't your real name, you should
> have said that it was actually Mark Twain. :-) Sadly, I doubt it would
> have mattered.
> JDR
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM, John Gruenenfelder
> <jetpackjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I'd like to share a very strange computer scam phone call I just
>> received today...
>>
>> At about 4 PM I received a call on the house's land line and the
>> caller ID said unknown caller and the number was all zeros.  The
>> caller had a very heavy Indian accent and I could tell that it was a
>> scam in under 30 seconds.  I have never received such a phone call nor
>> have I ever heard of computer maintenance/security "companies" doing
>> cold call scams before so I though I would play along to see what they
>> would do and what they would ask for.
>>
>> The caller, as best I could make out, was calling because my Windows
>> computer had sent them information indicating that there were errors
>> and/or malicious programs running.  He wanted to walk through some
>> steps with me to verify the problem.
>>
>> I was on the phone for just under an hour in all, primarily because
>> this first person was excruciatingly slow and didn't understand
>> English very well.  He insisted on spelling everything out and would
>> ask each question multiple times.  Now, at no time was I actually in
>> front of a computer.  Rather, I was sitting on the couch watching
>> Jeopardy, but I'm not new to this so I figured I could just wing it.
>> Also, it became apparent rather quickly that if I mumbled my answers
>> then this person would try to explain what I was "seeing" and ask me
>> to verify.  Because of this, I could usually just wait until he
>> prompted me somehow and then I would just confirm his suspicions or
>> make up numbers.
>>
>> He asked me to open Windows run prompt and to start the event viewer.
>> We then looked at several log files (or, rather, pretended to) and he
>> would ask how many warnings and errors I was seeing.  With more
>> prompting, he would ask if it was more than ten.  Each time we looked
>> at a log and I confirmed that there were many errors, he would say in
>> a concerned voice "Oh my god..." and tell me how bad this was and how
>> it was evidence of existing corruption (the errors) and potential
>> corruption (the warnings) of my files and documents.
>>
>> Finally, after doing a very thorough job of convincing me of the
>> impending doom, he transferred me to his manager.  This person also
>> had a heavy Indian accent, but he both spoke and understood English
>> better.  I really don't know where they were calling from, but the
>> quality of the connection was quite poor and I could often here my own
>> delayed and distorted echo after speaking.
>>
>> The manager's job, it seems, was to finish landing the pre-screened
> [...]
I have read about this scam in fact I think there is a you tube about
this and it is rather funny. This scam must work and with all the
Windows computers out there that are in need of a little love well I
guess there a few that are willing to give it a try on the olé credit
card. People also have come to believe that phone call initiated by the
magic box could be real and with all the info that is gathered well
microsoft could be just looking out for them and everyone knows that it
is normal for things to not work well after the warranty ends? It is sad
that most know so little about the machines that they are using! Happy
fourth to everyone!