[Tfug] Darwin 10.8

Bowie Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 17:51:25 MST 2012

You guys have no idea the kind of fun you're missing by not having a Mac.. :)

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion. With it, I now have the ability to set my display to point to any AirPlay device on my wifi network..which includes my AppleTVs...one of which is connected to the big plasma TV in my living room.

I can set my Mac mini's desktop resolution to 1920x1280, turn AirPlay mirroring on, and it will automagically downscale the display and aspect ratio for the native display of the plasma TV, since theres an AppleTV handling it.... the net result is, I can turn any TV in my home into a wireless monitor for my Mac, and the result looks absolutely kick-ass.

Aside from being a media hub, my humble $99 hockey pucks are now useful as wifi display adapters.. How insanely cool is that? I don't even need a laptop anymore. If I were to travel somewhere, i'd just bring the Mini, bring one of the hockey pucks, and use the TV in the hotel room as my Mac's display. :)

Cheers,
Bowie