[Tfug] Got an odd one: laptop AMD CPU stuck at 800mhz, won't jump to 1, 600

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:13:18 MST 2012

Hmmm.  Well I have an article on how to take direct control over the
speed controls, at:

http://www.pantz.org/software/cpufreq/usingcpufreqonlinux.html

I'll try that next.

I *know* the CPU speed is boogered.  I suspect the video drivers are
OK but I don't quite know for sure.  Well OK...first step is to deal
with the CPU, test the video more once I know the CPU is straightened
out.

I now realize "Speedstep" isn't the right term with an AMD chip.
Amusingly, that's what the Dell BIOS calls it (snort).

I've had it open enough to check the memory and WiFi card, and it
looks very clean inside and out.  For now I'm assuming it's not a temp
issue, although I'm going to try going back into the BIOS and see if I
can read off the temps.  It's always possible there's a hosed temp
sensor in hardware?  Thing is, I know this isn't actually temp-related
because it's happening in the first minutes after a cold boot.

Jim