[Tfug] [Bulk] Re: Stallman vs Ubuntu

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 17:50:57 MST 2012

This is an example of how companies use the data they collect

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

I worked for an HMO about 15 years ago.  I built a model that determined the risk of the groups that were utilizing under the different plans.  This info was used by underwriting and sales and service to set pricing.

All I needed was their purchase info and I could have built a predictive utilization model  based on actuarial numbers.  If I could have obtained their driving info from the black boxes, now being installed in some new cars, I could have assessed their risk here as well.

You eat too many burgers.... you became a higher risk.  All the data is out there today.  Most of us use our credit or debit card for every purchase.

This stuff is not rocket science. Almost anyone can create one of these models.

Keith Smith