[Tfug] Google wizard?

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sun Dec 9 17:44:48 MST 2012

On Sunday 09 December 2012 14:49, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone have any tricks as to how to coax google to give
> results for "PCI" cards but *exclude* PCIe?  I can't
> seem to come up with a good set of search criteria
> that I can convince google to *rigidly* enforce
> (it keeps wanting to do fuzzy matching to "help" me!)
>
> E.g., 'PCI -PCIe -PCI-e -"PCI Express" -PCI-X -"PCI X"'
> starts to become alphabet soup (google seems to ignore
> or downplay terms as the number of criteria increases)

-"pcie" as well as any other similar matches you may want to exclude.

The - is an exclude from search. The " tells Google not to expand/substitute
the search phrase. You may still get some (via pages that have no PCIe but
the link to those that do), but that should generally eliminate it.

Eg. the search { pci dual network card } brings up results:
- Intel EXPI9402PT Pro/100 PT Dual Port (PCI-Express card)
- Dual-NIC PCI Card - Untangle Forums
- Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter (PCI-Express card)
- Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT PCI/PCI-X Dual Port Server Adapter
- HP.com - networking - HP NC364T PCI Express Dual Port Gigabit (PCI Express
card)
- HP 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual Port Network Interface Card - Gigabit

While { pci dual network card -"pcie" -"pci-x" } brings up:
- Compaq NC3134 Dual Base Fast Ethernet 10/100 NIC
- 2-Port 10/100 PCI Network Adapter
- D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100
- Cisco WMP600N Dual-Band Wireless-N PCI Network Adapter
- Amazon.com: Dell - Dell Dual Port Pci Ethernet Card: Computers
- Adding the second NIC

http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=136861

Adrian