[Tfug] Pizza-box power problem

erich erich1 at copper.net
Fri Dec 14 10:30:54 MST 2012

OK,
         I have a Gateway E-3400 box. In it's heyday the manufacturer
must've made
zillions of these things. I've seen so many around.

         It has trouble at power-up. I hear relay chatter on the riser
card and the
mother board may or may not power up. By that I mean the case fan in the
front runs, and the fan inside the power supply runs, but the CPU fan is
idle,
and I see no boot up screen.

         If I apply heat with a hair drier to the back of the box, (the
relay
on the riser card is toward the back), I hear less chatter and the box
starts up.

         There is always relay chatter. There is LESS relay chatter when
1) the box is warmed up, and 2) when the  motherboard powers up.
In other words less relay chatter isn't a guarantee  that the motherboard
will power up.
          Any thoughts?

                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                    Erich